Thursday, January 15, 2009

"Grappling With The Truth": A Mike Robertson interview with Dewey Nielsen

I just recently did an interview with Mike Robertson. Mike is the President of Robertson Training Systems and the co-owner of Indianapolis Fitness and Sports Training (I-FAST) in Indianapolis, Indiana. Mike has made a name for himself as one of the premier performance coaches in the world, helping clients and athletes from all walks of life achieve their physique and sports performance goals.

It was a real honor to do an interview with him.

Exclusive Interview: Dewey Nielsen

MR: Dewey, thanks for being with us here today! Please take a moment and tell my readers a little bit about yourself.

DN: I am a strength coach from Oregon. I am also an MMA/BJJ coach. I co-founded the Newberg Impact Jiu-jitsu and I am the co-founder of Impact Performance Training. I currently hold a brown belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

MR: What got you into strength and conditioning? Were you an athlete yourself in the past?

DN: In High School I was actually more of a skater kid. I was really more drawn towards the extreme sports at that time. Although high school is actually where I fell in love with weightlifting. So, ever since then it has been a big passion of mine.

MR: How did you end up in your current niche of training fighters?

DN: I think the big reason is that because I am actually an MMA athlete and coach, I can really relate and understand the sport differently than many strength coaches. I know what it feels like to feel like crap by the end of the week and to have the bumps and bruises that come along with the sport. It is a great sport and some of the training demands are so much different than other traditional sports. Continue reading......