Monday, November 24, 2008

Montreal Highlights

I am back from Canada and I had an amazing time!! I have been too busy to write since I got back but I am starting back up this week...... so the nagging emails can stop :-)

Here are some of the highlights from my visit to Montreal:

1. Training the pulse. This made a HUGE light bulb go off in my head. The pulse is something that Stuart McGill has presented in recent lectures and has been looking at in his research with the greatest athletes in the world. His research and testing is trying to answer, "What makes great athletes great"? The pulse, as Stu explains, is a explosive contraction (pulse) followed by a relaxation phase, followed by another explosive contraction (pulse). The tests are showing that the best athletes do this much more efficient than others. Now that we know this pulsing idea exists, how do we train for it? Stuart gave me some great ideas........don't you wish you knew what they were ;-)

2. My friend Jon Chaimberg is a very smart coach. He gave me a great tool for training MMA athletes to work through fatigue and simulate "getting rocked" in a fight. Since I got back, I have been playing with some of his pre-exhausting ideas and I am liking them very much. Jon has a DVD coming out soon and it will be a must have for everyone's video libraries. I'll let you know when it is out.

3. Georges st. Pierre is as nice in person as he seems to be on tv. In fact all of the athletes up there were extremely nice. They are some of the best representations of the sport of mixed martial arts.

4. Stuart McGill assured me that my opinions on pilates are correct.

5.
Jon let me train some of his fighters while I was there. It was actually really nice to be able to work while I was gone, I enjoy it. I also was able to train jiu-jitsu with some of the guys including David Loiseau and Jonathan Goulet.

6. It doesn't get much cooler than Dr. Stuart McGill in an Impact Jiu-Jitsu shirt!!


7. UFC Welter Weight Champion Georges st. Pierre


If you want to see more pictures from the trip.......find me on facebook.com.

DN