Friday, December 7, 2007

Myth Buster: "Don't Let Your Knees Go Past Your Toes"

This is the one that you hear blaring through the microphone in the group exercise room. I’m not sure where this one got started but it falls right smack under the ridiculous category.

Do your knees ever go past your toes when you walk up or down the stairs? Or when you get down on the floor? Or when you get up off of the floor? Or when you walk up a hill? You get the point. I can hear the Group Fitness folk now: “But it is bad for your knees!!!” Seriously, next time somebody says that, ask them WHY. They won’t be able to tell you because they have always been told that. In reality, if I see someone’s knee go past their toes and their heels are still on the ground (we would cue them to distribute weight through the heels), I would be excited!! That’s right Excited!! (that gasp is an army of Body Pump and Step Aerobics instructors). This would mean that they are demonstrating some great dorsiflexion (ankle mobility). And guess what else? Its actually good for you!! A lack of ankle mobility is a huge reason for knee problems in the first place.

You can't tell me this squat looks right? (I just threw up in my mouth)

DN