Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Dinosaur Doctors

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine. He was asking if I had ever heard of prolotherapy. His girlfriend is having back problems and is getting shots of prolo. I don't know much about prolo so I won't act like I do but I will give some feed back on what I have heard:

Note: These are from a hand full of PT's I have talked with

1. It is better (maybe safer) than cortisone shots.
2. No known side affects.
3. Should still be a last resort


My advice would be to NOT get the shots until Lumbo-Pelvic-Hip stability has been assessed. Basically, how well does the lumbar spine, pelvis and hip integrate and stabilize together? Starting with the prolo shots is going about the problem completely backwards.

Now, with all that said, I will get to the REAL point.......The doctors advice. Remember that the prolo shots were for back pain. Following the shots, the doctor told here to, and I quote, "do ab work and lots of crunches along with stretching your back". Someone could not give worse advise for this situation!! This doctor should be chained to two 18 wheelers driving in opposite directions.

Once again we are proven that dinosaurs are not extinct...........



















DN