Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Featured Recipe: Walnut and Bean Patties

Many of you may or may not know that I am a vegan. Yes.... I lift weights, I am a Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu and I am a vegan. Some of you are probably thinking that is a weird combination but to me it is a perfect combination.

I receive a good amount of emails from coaches and athletes asking questions about veganism and athletics. The main question is where do you get your protein?? My answer continues to be.... "from everything except dead rotting carcasses and animal secretions" (I stole this from Chris Hannah of Propagandhi). Seriously, the protein thing is silly. You can get more than enough protein from a plant based diet. This post is not going to cover why it is a myth that vegans don't get enough protein. What am going to do is introduce a new entry on vegan recipes. These will mostly be compliments of my wife as she is possibly one of the best vegan cooks I know. Please feel free to give these out to your clients or use them yourself to enjoy the great tastes of a plant based diet.

The down side to these recipes is that my wife cooks on the fly (no pun intended) so many times these recipes are made up on the spot. The upside... they will taste amazing every time!



About 1-2 cups beans or one 15 oz can blended or smashed by hand. A mix of black, kidney, and pinto. About 1/3 Cup finely chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup of diced celery, 1/4cup diced onion, minced garlic, pepper, and salt to taste. Mix in fine bread crumbs as needed until you are able to form patties. Brown in a pan w 2-3 table spoons olive oil. Sage and parsley are also nice to add if desired.

The sauce is called "Miso Mayo". You can pick it up at Wholefoods. It's amazing!




DN