Saturday, March 28, 2009

Super Shakes

John Berardi and the rest of the Precision Nutrition team absolutely ROCK when it comes to nutrition!! I have said before how I love the shake recipes in Berardi's cookbook Gourmet Nutrition, but now they have created a great step by step process to making up all different super shakes. For the last couple weeks I have been going crazy making all sorts of shakes and I am loving them all. It has been a teriffic way for me to get my nutrition from some things that I don't typically eat on a regular basis.

Here is how to make a super shake:


Step 1: Start with ice
Use 1-4 cubes for a thin, chilled shake
Use 5-10 cubes for thicker, pudding-like consistency shake

Step 2: Pick A Fruit
Frozen banana
Frozen berries/berries
Dates
Pineapple/mango
Powdered fruit supplement

Step 3: Pick A Veggie
Dark leafy greens: Kale/Swiss chard/spinach (stems optional)
Pumpkin/sweet potato
Beets/beet greens
Cucumber/celery
Powdered greens supplement

Step 4: Pick A Protein Powder
Whey protein
Rice protein
Hemp protein
Pea protein

Step 5: Pick A Nut/Seed
Walnuts
Flax, hemp, chia, pumpkin, sunflower seeds
Cashews
almonds


Step 6: Pick A Liquid
Water
Almond milk (unsweetened)
Soy milk (unsweetened)
Hemp milk (unsweetened)
Iced green tea

Step 7: Pick Your Topper (I personally never do this)
Coconut
Cacao nibs, dark chocolate
Pomegranate seeds, goji berries
Oats, granola
Cinnamon

Less liquid = thick shakes. More liquid = thin shakes.
Adding liquid at the end of the process can improve how the shake initially blends.

Enjoy!!

DN